Saturday, March 13, 2010

Honesty is the best policy.



I love meeting new people everyday. I love talking to folks. I love seeing my regular, neighborhood families come in and tell me how much they enjoying shopping at GROVE STREET kids. These are just some of the many pleasures I derive from running my own business.

Some of the things I don't love are picking up after someone else's kids or finding unwrapped or damaged merchandise after the the customer has left. But for a small business, especially a retail business, these things are part and parcel of running a store that caters to kids and their families.

One thing that I dread dealing with, and have yet to actually confront someone about, is shoplifting. I know it's happened, in one form or another: tag-switching, returned items that have been used and claimed not to be, or just down-right walking off with something without paying for it. I've never actually seen it happen at GROVE STREET kids, and even if I were to, I'm not sure how I would handle it. Can you imagine having to walk up to a five or six year old child, after seeing him or her surreptitiously putting a little toy or purse I have for sale in his or her pocket and saying "I'm sorry, honey, but before you can take that home, Mommy or Daddy has to pay for it." Frankly, I hope that day never comes.

So imagine my surprise when, upon my arrival to work this morning, I opened the front door to find a little leather bracelet that I sell on the floor, next to an envelope with the words "I'm Srreey" scribbled in a child's hand on it; obviously dropped through the mail slot by the "culprit's" parent. It took just a moment for me to realize what had happened and, upon closer inspection, I noticed the envelope was actually sealed. I opened it to find a lovely drawing of rainbows and sunshine on one side of the paper,
and a letter of admission of guilt and an apology
on the other.

It read, roughly: "Dear Store. I stole this bracelet yesterday. I'm Sorry."

It was very clear to me that this child probably had no idea that what he or she did was wrong- "what does 'stole' mean, mommy?" Or maybe s/he didn't know just how wrong it was. Who knows? S/he simply saw something that sparked his or her interest and helped themselves. What warmed my heart about it, aside from the hearts and the butterflies, was that the parent saw fit to recognize that the misdeed had to be corrected and had the child not only return the bracelet, but apologize for taking it. I'm certain the child learned a valuable lesson. But what is more important, in my view, was the example that was set. In my business, it just doesn't happen enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment